From the board to their brains

Recently, I was asked by a student teacher: how do you reach that girl who keeps talking? I looked at her and said, "Easy. Watch and learn." She did just that.

What is a student telling you who talks throughout your entire class period? When I attend conferences or seminars, the presenters seldom address how the child is perceiving the information or how to consider that something else may be at play. What teachers are fed is: here are some activities that you may find useful to your classroom. Have these people heard of the internet? For over 20 years, I can attest that a child will pay attention to you if they want to.

And, that's the key.

What's stopping them from doing what they normally do? In the early 1990's, a method of facilitating was introduced. A teacher acts as a facilitator. A facilitator guides and directs. A facilitator "lets go." Most teachers find this extremely difficult to do. How can I let go and teach at the same time? This almost sounds contradictory.

The notion allows the student to make her own mistakes. Allow the student to take ownership of the mistake. There's one thing about a mistake - make enough of them and you will learn a lesson. Teaching is not an overbearing profession. If a teacher feels comfortable in her own skin and has a depth and breath dimensions of the topic, then watching children GO should not a problem. The teacher who is unsure and insecure about her knowledge sets a battleground for herself in the classroom. Any place she walks may be a site for a landmine.

So, how did I get the young lady to stop talking? I allowed her to get it out. When she realized that she was not stopping the show and that the show was continuing without her, she began giving me short pauses - just enough to hear a few directions. After a while ( a couple of days), she stopped all together and talked at the appropriate times.

If you are struggling with class management, drop me an email at charlesemagazine@yahoo.com (subject line: class management/consultation). I would be more than happy to present a dynamic series to your school, community forum, or consult with you personally. Once again, all I ask is that you reference me as the author of this material. Fees are extremely nominal.

No comments: