Teaching in schools today

Our hearts go out to the families of the victims of the Newtown shooting. How could something like this occur?

It was interesting to get responses from people who taught or sat in class with the shooter while in high school. As a veteran teacher, I can honestly tell you that teachers do know when an odd personality is present. In small circles, teachers do discuss the nature of children. It's impossible to escape noticing the irregularity of social classroom involvement that some children exhibit. Through the years, student teachers who I've mentored tell me that their concern is quieting the noisy students, I tell them, "Spend time learning the quiet ones." It's important that children talk - to somebody.

There were so many dynamics present in this tragedy. One report gave us an insight to what triggered the shooter. It was reported that he was very angry over his mother taking steps to having him institutionalized and his mother having "more" interest in caring for the children at Sandy Hook than she had for him.

In my 2012 publication, Making a difference in the classroom: the truth and reality of teaching in schools today, I note that teachers should refrain from sharing with their students stories about their families and displaying photographs of people who are special to them. When the book cam out earlier this year, a few colleagues wondered why I thought this was essential to effective teaching.

This philosophy stemmed from a real incident in my early years in the classroom. After the birth of my daughter, my friends at school (along with many students) insisted that I bring her to school on one of our "last" days before a big football game or a half day. I resisted this notion until she was about 18 months old. We had a half day before a holiday break. I told my husband to drop her off about 30 minutes before the bell. So, she was not at the school a long time. And, I cleared this with my principal. Well, she had not arrived 15 minutes before one of my students jumped up and toppled one of the tables in the classroom hollering and screaming in the classroom. Then, he started threatening the other students. This caught everybody by complete surprise because this was a somewhat quiet student who did not bother anyone.

His behavior drew my immediate concern to center court. I immediately "got it." He was jealous that I cared for someone more than him. He took the presence of my daughter personally. Now, I know some people may discount this as "crazy," but isn't it crazy to drive 80 miles just to shoot people?

If you are a new teacher or a veteran, remove any access to your world from the classroom. Keep in mind that you have no idea what your students go through at home or how they process relationships. Also, you have to consider the fact that some students come to school NEEDING to form bonds because they don't trust anyone at home. In many areas in this country, more and more students do not even have homes. So, for them, it is personal.

In any one year, I may service about 100 students. So, after 20 years, that's a lot of children and a whole lot of experience.Trust the wisdom that as teachers, you should stick to:

* showing compassion fairly and objectively
* delivering the course message
* getting an excellent evaluation
* keeping your personal life in a safe compartment

The research points toward teachers forming relationships with students in order to boost student engagement. To an extent, this is true, but successfully achieving this is like walking along a tightrope. Student success is accomplished from many variables. Focusing on only one would be a mistake.

This is merely one piece of advice. This message is not to discount the horrific tragedy. However, as teachers, you must be aware that your students rely on you for more than you think. Never take this for granted. And, be aware of how you open yourselves to relative strangers. Sure, know your audience. But, realize that you are in their lives for only a season. Very rarely will you see them again once they pass your class and become graduates. Recognize the situation for what it is. Make your imprint on their lives while you have them and then leave it alone. If done right, you will instill trust in them and they will be better adults for your influence on their lives.

Order Making a difference in the classroom: the truth and reality of teaching in classrooms today at www.rowman.com

www.answeringthecalltoteach.com 



No comments: